Pincab Passion
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

AccueilAccueil  PortailPortail  ÉvènementsÉvènements  WIPs Team PP  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  ConnexionConnexion  Dons  

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)

+3
Cid2Nice
zax
Paladin
7 participants
AuteurMessage
Paladin

Département : Belgique

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Empty
MessageSujet: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyJeu 6 Aoû 2020 - 12:48

Hi everyone! I've checked first if it was ok to make a WIP post in English, as French is not my maternal language. I can read and understand most posts and guides here just fine, but writing a complete WIP post in French would be difficult Wink.

Here goes. I've created my own arcade cabinet about 2 years ago and it was the most fun and rewarding project I have ever done. It still fills me with pride and joy when I look at it. I wanted to do a project like that again, but I can't fill up my house with arcade cabinets so I didn't know what I would make next. Then I discovered the beauty that is Virtual Pinball machines. Of course I knew you could play pinball on your PC or console, but I never thought there were people recreating actual pinball machines with TVs and computers. The thing is, next to arcade cabinets, I spent also a lot of time in my youth playing pinball machines. My dad loved to go out and drink a few pints so I spent quite some time hanging out in pubs and getting coins to play on pinball machines Wink.

So my next project got started. I started reading and reading, discovered the pinscape guide (omg how extensive is dat one, it's almost a bible!) and some others. I also stumbled upon this forum, from where I got some very good information as well. I liked this forum immediatly as I saw that there's an active community that likes to help others with information.

So after reading for a while, I decided on getting my hands dirty and at least start on the woodwork already. I didn't want to spend thousands of euros on it so I decided on reusing a 40 inch TV I had that wasn't getting much active use. I spent quite some time pondering about which size cabinet I would go for. I'd love to have made a custom size cabinet, sized to my 40 inch TV. But as, at the time, I thought you could only find custom made lockbars from a shop in Australia, I didn't want to go for that as that would be an insane cost in shipping and customs.
The 40 inch wouldn't fit in a standard body cabinet. I could do it if I routed out a slot in the sides, but that would make it tricky to easily remove the TV for maintenance work. So in the end I decided on going for the wide body cabinet, with leftover space to the side of the TV. I'll probably make a bezel for the TV. So I ordered the widebody lockbar (without the lockbar mechanism) and got started on the project. Of course, only a few days ago I discovered that one of the guys on this forum makes custom lockbars. If I had just known before! Very Happy But no big deal as now, if I ever find a cheap second hand 43" or something, I can just replace the 40 inch.

I'll add more stuff to this first post as I go along, like hardware used and such. I'll create new replies to this post with my progress.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5110

Dernière édition par Paladin le Dim 27 Sep 2020 - 22:49, édité 6 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyJeu 6 Aoû 2020 - 12:56

So here are the first pictures I took, from the start of the project.

First a tryout of the monitors (40 inch Samsung TV, 30 inch Dell monitor). Not sure yet of the backglass monitor as it uses Dual DVI and it's not easy converting dual dvi to displayport or hdmi for current gen videocards without losing half of the resolution. So it would be a shame of using a 30 inch monitor and only using it for half it capabilities. Maybe I'll use a 32 inch HD ready TV I still have lying around.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4610

Picked up two sheets of green MDF ("waterproof") at the local Brico (do-it-yourself shop, part of Carrefour in Belgium). The green MDF was discounted at the time at -40% and it doesn't soak up as much paint as the regular MDF as it's already saturated. Well that's the theory, I'll let you know if it's the case when I start painting it Wink.
Also picked up these two beauties at 40% discount. Ok, I already had sawhorses, but those were in flimsy wood. On these, I can put the cabinet without having to worry that they will break. And a man never needs an excuse to buy some more tools! Wink

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4710

I had created a plan for the guys at Brico to cut up the wood in certain dimensions, so I could fit it in my car and finish cutting it to the right sizes at home. When I wanted to cut the wood at home, I noticed that they messed up (1305 mm is NOT 1035 mm dudes...) so I had to return the wood from one sheet and they gave me a new one. After getting home, I started on one panel of the playfield and the length was ok, but from side to side there was a difference of 2 mm. Apparantly their saw is not all that great... But I could fix that as it was the width and I had requested a bit larger dimension. But still. Don't get your wood cut at Brico Wink.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4711

I used my router and a copy bit to copy the first sidepanel to the second. Love those copy bits.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4712

Finally put my table saw I bought half a year ago to good use.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4713

Love this little tool. I decided on using dowels to join the wood. Then I don't have screw holes on the outside + I can put it together and take it apart in the beginning like an Ikea cabinet, just to try everything together before I screw it down. MDF isn't made to screw and unscrew multiple times in the same holes.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4714

It fits!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4715

Trying out the bottom without the dowels. Fits like a (very thight) glove!
My wife says I’m building a coffin...

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4716

Trying out the TV for size (I've put some cardboard boxes under there, thank God I forget to take out the thrash regularly).

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4717

Dernière édition par Paladin le Jeu 24 Sep 2020 - 9:00, édité 1 fois
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 17 Aoû 2020 - 9:29

Received my widebody lockbar + plunger + misc from pinballshop.nl and also some electronics stuff from Arnoz. Love the little pieces of art electronic boards. Especially the lama Very Happy.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 54990f10

Never used a second flipper button on the same side in my life but hey, if everyone's doing the magna save thing, I'll guess I'll add it. At least I can use them as extra buttons. Planning on using a single button on the front which I can use as a shift button so I can double the usage of my flippers.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 08242e10

Dowelled the cab floor and used a great tool I picked up from PinCaBonAute's build : two Jupiler crates.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 5a818710

Received my used contactors from Ebay.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 20af2d10

Also received my 24V power supply from Amazon.de. Got it like this. Sucks as I like perfect things but too lazy too start the process of complaining and sending it back Wink. It works so... I'll use some pliers and try to get it reasonably straight.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 526ee911

Hooked them up and did some tests. Kind of dissapointed in the sound. I was hoping to get some more BANG for my buck.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4811

Dowelling.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4812

Test drawing of my plunger hole with my MPCNC. Yes I added a small marker from my kids, wrapped in thin foil to make it thicker to my router (powered off). Hacking stuff together++

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4814

Let's do this!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4815

Shit works (with some filing).

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4816

Also routed the sides of the cabinet. Messed up on one of the sides that will carry the plastic rail for the glass. But not something I can't fix with some small wood inserts and some glue.
Also, the sun killed my grass. RIP.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_4817

Dernière édition par Paladin le Jeu 24 Sep 2020 - 9:01, édité 1 fois
zax

Département : 72

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 17 Aoû 2020 - 10:42

a coffin,yes ,but a nice coffin!!

Paladin aime ce message

Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 17 Aoû 2020 - 21:18

Trying out routing out an inlaid button hole with my MPCNC on some scrap wood. Looks good after some sanding to finish off the edges.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) E888a110

Going for the real thing!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) B482e810

Looks good. One hole should be enough for everyone Wink.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 17476910

Fitted and approved. Will have to wait to cut out the coin door until later as I don't have it yet. I won't go for the default crazy expensive Williams coin door but for a cheaper version.
Not sure I will go for a green button yet as I don't know the color scheme yet. But I like green and I love the Suzo Happ button.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) A3705710

Used the pinbalshop.nl leaf switch system. Works great. Had to move one of the acrylic blocks to the other side of the switch for the short button.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) C723ec10

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 37a5c910

I've fitted everything together again. Clicks together like an Ikea cabinet and without screws losing grip in torn out MDF Wink. Added the lockbar as a test without the lockbar mechanism. I have it, haven't mounted it yet as I first want to have the coin door to test fit.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Bf308210
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 17 Aoû 2020 - 21:31

Something I noticed and am not sure about : after adding the lockbar, it fits great, without the locking mechanism. But there's a space between the cabinet front wall and the lockbar. I don't know if anyone actually reads this but if so : is this normal? Should I fill it up with something? Picture from below for illustration.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 089be010
zax

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 17 Aoû 2020 - 21:40

hi paladin,it'snt normal the space behind the lockbar.but if it is solid ,why not?
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 17 Aoû 2020 - 21:52

Another package from L'Atelier d'Arnoz! Bought the Master of Mosfets, the ROM service card and Calibre.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Ebee6310

Investigating how to hook everything up. Reading the tutorials and manuals crack me up. I love the PWM tutorial. Recommended read, great info and lolz!: https://shop.arnoz.com/laboratoire/2020/01/12/cest-quoi-le-pwm/

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Fa782110

Also received the legs, sidechannels for the playfield, leg brackets, lockbar and... a real pinball err ball. Is a ball used in a pinball a "pinball" or a "pinball ball"?

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Tenor

Anyway, I wanted a ball. Don't judge.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) F2fd7d10

Received the diodes for the contactors and some 22 AWG cable. I hope I have enough cable to hook up everything with the same color scheme.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 4c08d510
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 17 Aoû 2020 - 22:00

Hey Zax! Thanks for the answer!

I don't understand though, there's a metal plate inside the lockbar so I can't fit it any other way. Or I have to route out a slot for that plate to fit in the top of the front panel.

I saw someone on this forum that did that but he did it to not have to use a lockbar locking mechanism.

Or does that metal plate need to rest on top of the front panel? That would maybe work too when it's pulled down by the locking mechanism.

Strange stuff.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 01c8db10
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 17 Aoû 2020 - 22:11

ok, next up, the wooden triangles behind the leg brackets! I know I don't really need them with the newer generation leg brackets but still, I use them as extra reinforcement as I don't screw from the outside of the cabinet to the inside. I don't like filling the holes. You still tend to see sometimes where you covered up the holes in the right (or is it the wrong) light.
I had to saw these at a 45 degree angle. For this I created a basic jig as I didn't want to mess up my fence on my table saw.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 41da9c10

Seemed to have worked!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 88df5b10

Preparation for cutting out a power plug insert.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 25e51f11

Ok, I've postponed this for quite some time but glueing everything togehter. Don't know if I'm ready for this as I will need to route out some holes in the bottom and the hole for the coin door, but I can't wait anymore to proceed. So screw it. Added beer for weigth.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) E24afa10

Mounted the triangle wood braces. Perfect.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 801b5c10

Now for the tricky part: a great little tool. No I don't have any stock in Wolfcraft. But they have these handy little tools. Going to use it to drill the holes for the legs as you can use this tool as a guide to drill through corners.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) B1334910

Wish I did a testdrive on these first, so I could have worked out the best way to line up the legs with eachother, but hey, it worked.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 9b01f710

Leg braces mounted, routed out a part on the wooden triangle for the plunger.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Dcb14610

It's standing on its own legs!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) B91a2d10
zax

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyMar 18 Aoû 2020 - 21:38

have you the lockdown with the lockbar? maybe it is your wood panel that is to small? what is your lockbar gotlieb, stern, williams? mine is gotlieb and i don't know the other.
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 24 Aoû 2020 - 21:31

Hey Zax, my lockbar is a Williams widebody lockbar. I also have the lockbar mechanism but I haven't installed that one yet. It's a widely used lockbar and the wood is 18 mm thick mdf, which is the default. So it's pretty strange. I'll ask around on a vpin Facebook group.

Dernière édition par Paladin le Sam 26 Sep 2020 - 23:01, édité 1 fois
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 24 Aoû 2020 - 21:46

filled the cabinet with cardboard boxes for a test fitting to the playfield TV. Amazon boxes are so versatile! Wink
`
[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Ce18b810

Temporarily connected the flipper buttons + plunger + threw the tv on the boxes. Stuff works!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 20f55510

Pro tip: use a squared piece of cardboard to put on the back of the tv, measure out where the holes are, use a pencil to punch through the cardboard and use the carboard as a template to transfer the holes to a piece of wood. Perfect vesa mount.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) C5adb810

Made a mechanism to mount the playfield TV. Cut up broom + MDF + some mounting brackets for pipes (not yet attached).

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 08db0f10

Mounted MDF boards to the sides to hold the broom-supported TV. Used the jigsaw + router to make a clean rounded surface to create one of them, used a copy router bit to create the second one so that they are identical.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Fe40d510

Also added some boards for the front support.
[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) E815b810

Et voilà.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 82c5dd10

Needed to create a playfield top but with a large hole because I will be using a third screen for the DMD. Yes I want a real DMD but I don't want to spend the 160+ euro for one right now Sad
First time that I used my aluminium template that I bought half a year ago. Awesome stuff! No more creating templates with spare wood.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Bfbc9d10

Marked the hole (make sure to mark the entire template with a pencil on the wood, removed the template, cut it out roughly with my jigsaw, put the template back (thank you pencil!), clamped it down and routed out the remainder of the hole. 

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 9460ec10

Ooo baby!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 51a62210
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 24 Aoû 2020 - 22:12

Next up: backbox.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Fe730610

My 30 inch Dell monitor fits like a glove.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) A1fa1d10
[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Tenor

Transferred measurements of the playfield top to the backbox bottom. Apparently it's normal that it sticks out for when you lower the backbox to avoid metal on metal.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 6f05c510

Backbox top + back.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) D6fceb11

Added some wood for support.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 4eeb8610

Starts to look like a pinball cabinet. Haven't mounted it yet though, just used clamps.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 715bfb10

Test fitting of the DMD monitor.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 88263210

Added support beams to the backbox. The small wooden pieces are only there to secure the beams together so I could pull them out and screw them together properly. This ways I can perfectly fit them back in the backbox and screw the backbox banels to the beams.
I want the beams because the 30 inch alone weighs 16 kg.
Still haven't glued the backbox. I won't do it yet as I might still need to route out channels for the plexi in the end. If it's glued, I can't pull it apart anymore to route out the channels.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 80ad3410

Vesa mount for the 30 inch backglass.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 85fe8410

Mounted to the beams.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 3ac8f010

Mounted the backbox with two M10 bolts.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 7a733c10

Added some hardware to test out the cabinet.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 796b8110

Dear God it's a pinball machine!
Still need to add the DMD monitor enough mounting stuff today. Need to play some Addams family first!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 2f95c010

Under the hood. LOVE my Hades Canyon! It's a beast! Might need to get a second one as this is the one that 's originally in my arcade cabinet.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Ecdca310
Cid2Nice

Cid2Nice

Département : 06

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyMar 25 Aoû 2020 - 8:59

Hi,

Great building skill and nice place to build your cab Wink

Paladin aime ce message

fleporcq

Département : 76

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyMar 25 Aoû 2020 - 10:05

Very nice job ! you're a boss with wood !

Paladin aime ce message

GUILLAUME49

GUILLAUME49

Département : 49

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyJeu 24 Sep 2020 - 8:42

That's a nice WIP. Clean work, nice cabinet building technique.
"MDF isn't make to screw and unscrew multiple times in the same holes."

That is true - because my brother in law, who is a carpenter by trade ("menuisier"), told so :-)

For more robustness and lasting of the cabinet I trust the mounting with the Wolfkraft kit (i.e. "tourillons") makes a lot of sense.

About the lockbar I can send pics but on Williams cabinet it is normal the lockbar falls like you show. I am not sure about the mechanical reason but that's normal. Maybe to premature wear and tear of the decals (so the lockbar does not land on the decal).

About the DMD and speaker panel you may check my WIP and like what I made. I am documenting it. I have been inspired by DMD / Speaker panels.

Paladin aime ce message

Sebcemoi
Admin
Sebcemoi

Département : 94

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyJeu 24 Sep 2020 - 21:06

Hi @Paladin,
Really good and clean work [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 3253257302

i haven't a real lockbar but a self made one on my mini pincab, but i had the same problem of space betwin the bar and the front panel.
What i did is cuttin a bit the higher front corners of the side panels for letting engage totally the front angles of the lockbar wich aren't square but "cutted" too.
I don't know if it is a similar thing, but in case of ...

Paladin aime ce message

Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptySam 26 Sep 2020 - 22:40

GUILLAUME49 a écrit:
About the lockbar I can send pics but on Williams cabinet it is normal the lockbar falls like you show. I am not sure about the mechanical reason but that's normal. Maybe to premature wear and tear of the decals (so the lockbar does not land on the decal).

About the DMD and speaker panel you may check my WIP and like what I made. I am documenting it. I have been inspired by DMD / Speaker panels.

Sebcemoi a écrit:
Hi @Paladin,
Really good and clean work [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 3253257302

i haven't a real lockbar but a self made one on my mini pincab, but i had the same problem of space betwin the bar and the front panel.
What i did is cuttin a bit the higher front corners of the side panels for letting engage totally the front angles of the lockbar wich aren't square but "cutted" too.
I don't know if it is a similar thing, but in case of ...

Thanks for the answers guys!

About the lockbar, well I'm a bit further in my build now and I tried out the lockbar together with the plastic rails for the glass, the metal siderails and the lockbar locking mechanism and now the lockbar ends up with the lip on top of the wood and it looks and feels ok now. So I hope it will work out in the end when everything is put back together. I'm in the process of painting now. I still need to document my progress. I'll add pictures of the lockbar.

About the DMD and speaker panel, thanks for the tip! I've diverted a bit from my original plan now as I read that a lot of people are going for a full dmd nowadays, which is more versatile. I think I'm going for that one. But I'll check out your WIP GUILLAUME49, thanks!
Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptySam 26 Sep 2020 - 23:12

A lot of progress but I didn't get around to updating the WIP, so here goes! Smile

Received the siderails, but they were bent. I should be able to bend them back when I lock them down when the cabinet is finished.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 59675210

Coin door also arrived. Bought a clone as I didn't want to spent the cash on an original one. Which means different dimensions = be very carefull when creating the hole as I have already glued my front panel to the side panels Wink.
Created a template out of cardboard by dismantling the coin door.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 58b95d10

Mounted the plastic + metal side rails (with tape) + lockbar so I could get a good feel for where the locking mechanism should be mounted together with the coin door. The coin door and locking mechanism share one bolt. Very tricky because if you mess up there, you're either screwed with the coin door or with the lockbar... 
But something cool I found out by test mounting everything : When everything is in place, my issue with the lockbar and the metal plate/lip seems to be solved now, as it's resting on top of the front panel and the large gap is gone.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5210

The only problem is, whenever I mount everything to test, the pinball cabinet is quickly claimed to play...
BTW I love the Stranger things table. It's so much fun! I was planning on doing a Guardians of the galaxy cab, but maybe I should make a Stranger things cabinet...

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 23df8a10

Mounted the template together with the lockbar locking mechanism. I was very carefull with this as it's a double operation : you have to make sure that the locking mechanism is at the exact position to pull down the lockbar, which is on top of the siderails and that the bolt matches exactly the coin door position.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Be421210

In the end, I wanted to make sure that I cut the hole right, so I created a MDF template with the cardboard template so I could use a copy router bit to transfer the hole Wink.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 2e529510

Work done.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 41b7bb10

Et voilà! Locking mechanism and coin door attached to the same bolt. The small things make my happy Wink.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) C8cf5d10

Test fit the third monitor + fixed my backglass monitor with an expensive dual dvi convertor so I could use the full resolution (2560x1600) + fixed some software issues.
The third monitor is not mounted yet, I have to figure something out there because it's half in the bottom part ot the cabinet.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 3678f510

Created a bezel for the tv monitor. Still have to finish the inner edges with a chamfer bit.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) E0653310

Created a VESA mount plate out of some thin mdf to mount the third monitor. Love my table saw!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 4d34a710

Fits like a glove!
Ended up mounting two of them on top of each other as the MDF is very thin.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 92869810

Found a rail on Amazon.de that I can use to mount the speaker panel and backglass plexi. Not sure if I can use it yet as I'm not 100% sure yet how I will finish the backbox, but still, I like it! Sawed it to the width of my backbox.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 0ddc2810

Created a test speaker panel / bezel for the third monitor. Used thin MDF.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 8f7ae411

Chamfered the edge. Chamfering makes everything look a lot more finished, especially when sanded/painted.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 7ee0d810

Test fitted. Looks ok. Also installed Pinup Popper + set it up. Awesome software!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 3cd13110``

Bought and assembled an Ender 3 v2 because I want to print pinball goodies myself instead of bothering other people Smile. Ok I wanted a 3D printer for a while now, this is the perfect excuse to get one (and I got an awesome deal!).

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) B2a4cb10

After a benchy, my first real print is... a button holder for my launcher Smile. Thanks to the creator for the stl. If I'm not mistaken, it's someone from this forum.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) B6981510

Love it! Now I just need to find me a button somewhere that fits.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) E28fc710

Bought and test fitted a polycarbonate panel. Very dissapointed in the reflection. It's almost a mirror... Now I have to decide if I'm going to ditch the poly panel and make a full bezel in MDF for the backbox. I've been thinking I don't need to put a protection over the backbox monitors.
But not sure yet. Have to think about it.
Nevermind the white stickers, I left them on in those parts because I still need to route out speaker holes and I don't want to scratch the panel. Panels like this scratch already when you look at them funny.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Ac811810

Found some old iron brackets that I can use for the contactor mounts. No clamp as good as your foot to drill some extra holes! Wink

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 4e7cd610

I have 3 of them ready for painting. I will mount them with the contactors when my cabinet is painted.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) 8a830310

Soldering the flyback diodes for my contactors.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Be92fb10

10 done with heath shrink! For the close observer : I added a small black heat shrink ring so I know which side of the diode the marking is Wink.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) C2d6d810

Dernière édition par Paladin le Dim 27 Sep 2020 - 21:31, édité 1 fois
zedrummer
Modérateur
zedrummer

Département : 68

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyDim 27 Sep 2020 - 5:55

That's quite an impressive WIP we've got here, you take your time and the result is supa clean. Congrats!

Paladin aime ce message

Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyDim 27 Sep 2020 - 21:57

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Time to prep the cabinet for painting. One of the reasons that I used dowels and glue when assembling the cabinet was that I wouldn't have to drill /screw through the external panels. You can fill up the holes and sand and prime and paint and even apply vinyl, but if you're unlucky and the light reflects in a certain way, you can still see some marking where the hole used to be. So I wanted to avoid that as much as possible. But I still wanted some more security as the cab will rock when I play it (motion sensor) or when I move it, I don't want it to come apart Wink
So I searched for places to screw in screws that will be hidden. Great places for that are behind the lockbar, behind the legs, underneath the cabin, at the back of the cabin, ... . Also on the sidepanels underneath the backbox is a pretty good choice as well if you're going to use the backbox hinges.
I've only got a few screw holes that aren't hidden. I patched them up with mdf filler and sanded, and patched again and sanded again and patched with a very fine filler and sanded again. 

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5211

You also have to watch out when screwing in the sides where T-molding will be placed. As the T-molding channel is routed out, you can cause the channel to collapse and the wood/mdf to crack when you draw in the screw. A good tricky to avoid this is to put a spare piece of T-channel molding in the channel before you pull the screw tight. This will keep the channel from collapsing. Pull the T-molding out when the screw has been countersunk.
You can avoid this entirely by only routing out a channel that is exactly the depth of the T-molding but my T-molding router bit is a bit larger.
I haven't mentioned this but you need to pre-drill the hole and a larger hole for the screw head of course.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5212

Started on fixing my oopsie error from near the beginning, when I routed out the plastic rail slots for the glass. On one side I slipped with my router and the channel was way too wide. Fixed a few parts of it by glueing in small wooden inserts.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5213

Created a homemade paint spraying cabine (ok a dusty one, but I have to work with the tools I have Wink ). Cleaned out my garden shed and stapled some tarps against the walls and over my garden tools. I don't want a painted lawn mower.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5214

Ok that kind of looks like a scene from Dexter. Not a serial killer, seriously!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Wp2422876

Filled, sanded, wiped down with a wet rag and ready for painting! Going to use a Wagner paint gun as I want to avoid imperfections from the paint roller and it goes a lot faster that painting it manually. A disadvantage is that it takes a lot more paint. I use Levis paint and the primer is pretty expensive. Good stuff though!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5215

In the meanwhile, my playfield glass is ready! Ordered 5mm thick tempered glass. I actually wanted the 33.2 laminated glass as was mentioned in the great guide post on this forum but that would be too thick for the plastic rails.
I ordered glass for a table top, as this is tempered glass without the tempered glass seal.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5216

Sanding between coats!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5217

Decided that I needed some ventilation holes for my backbox. Drilled them + chamfered them + routed out a hole for a "handle" so I can easily remove the backbox backboard.
Did I mention already that I love my router? It's such a great tool! Also very dangerous so watch out!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5218

Perfect fit for the handle!

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) Img_5220
GUILLAUME49

GUILLAUME49

Département : 49

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyLun 28 Sep 2020 - 12:33

Sweet. Ah ah... Same story here for the 3D printer. Been there, done that.

Nice hints for the T Molding. I am struggling a bit with the T Molding I bought on Ali. First it is apiece of crap, second it does not fit well with the 2mm-7.5mm guide.

Paladin

MessageSujet: Re: [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)   [WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%) EmptyMar 29 Sep 2020 - 20:20

GUILLAUME49 a écrit:
Nice hints for the T Molding. I am struggling a bit with the T Molding I bought on Ali. First it is apiece of crap, second it does not fit well with the 2mm-7.5mm guide.

Ah that sucks. The T-molding I used for my arcade cabinet (didn't buy any yet for my pincab) I'm very happy with and I bought it at https://arcadewinkel.nl/.

[WIP] Pincab 40" playfield de Paladin (Anglais) (70%)
Page 1 sur 1